B. coagulans is now known as Weizmannia coagulans. However, most products continue to use the name Bacillus. Also, some products containing B. coagulans are marketed as Lactobacillus sporogenes. Although both lactobacillus and B. coagulans produce a compound called lactic acid, unlike lactobacillus, B. coagulans forms spores. Spores are important for telling B. coagulans apart from other lactic acid bacteria.
People take B. coagulans for constipation and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). It is also used for diarrhea, gas, indigestion, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these other uses.
Don't confuse B. coagulans with other probiotics, or with fermented food products such as fermented milk, kefir, or yogurt. These are not the same.
Safety Safety definitions
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There isn't enough reliable information to know if B. coagulans is safe to use when pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Children: B. coagulans is possibly safe when taken by mouth by infants and children. It's been used safely in infants in doses of up to 100 million CFUs daily for up to one year.
- Constipation. Taking B. coagulans by mouth seems to help relieve constipation.
- A long-term disorder of the large intestines that causes stomach pain (irritable bowel syndrome or IBS). Taking B. coagulans by mouth seems to help relieve symptoms of IBS.
Dosing & administration
Interactions with pharmaceuticals
Interaction Rating=Moderate Be cautious with this combination.
B. coagulans is a type of friendly bacteria. Antibiotics are used to reduce harmful bacteria in the body. Taking antibiotics along with B. coagulans can reduce the effects of B. coagulans. To avoid this interaction, take B. coagulans products at least 2 hours before or after antibiotics.
Interactions with herbs & supplements
Interactions with foods
ProductsView all products
- Bacillus coagulans (MTCC 5260)
- Bacillus coagulans (Unique IS2™) 175 billion CFU
- Actinidia deliciosa 602 mg
- Actinidia chinensis 602 mg
- Citric acid anhydrous
- Magnesium citrate
- Natural kiwi flavour
- Natural lemon lime flavour
- Spinacia oleracea (Spinach)
- Lactobacillus gasseri 1.4 trillion CFU
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus 1.4 trillion CFU
- Stevia rebaubiana
- Bacillus coagulans (MTCC 5856) 1 billion CFU
- Moringa oleifera
- Wheatgrass powder
- Arthrospira platensis (Spirulina)
- Chlorella pyrenoidosa powder
- Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (Partially hydrolysed guar gum (PHGG))
- Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (Guar gum)
- Acacia sp. (gum)
- Coconut water powder
- Camellia sinensis
- Mentha x piperita
- Beta vulgaris
- Natural flavours
- Ananas comosus (Pineapple)
- Curcuma longa
- Piper nigrum
- Stevia rebaubiana
- Lactobacillus sporogenes
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Bifidobacterium bifidum
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Lactobacillus casei
- Lactobacillus acidophilus (DDS-1)
- Larix occidentalis (arabinogalactan) (Larch)
- Cichorium intybus (root) (Chicory)
- Lactobacillus fermentum
- Ulmus rubra (bark inner) powder
- Plantago ovata (husk) (Psyllium)
- Pediococcus acidilactici
- Bifidobacterium infantis
- Streptococcus thermophilus
- Lactobacillus plantarum
- Lactobacillus bulgaricus
- Lactobacillus salivarius
- Entero-coccus faecium
- Bacillus subtilis
- Apple pectin
- Lactobacillus gasseri