This charcoal is:
- Medicinal grade
- Neutral pH
- Purified and steam activated (unlike chemical activation). This increases its adsorption capacity
- Considered the most valuable single agent currently available for treating drug overdose, poisoning, stomach distress, intestinal gas and toxic condition
Used for thousands of years for its adsorbing properties, it is still the most widely used drawing substance available today. Charcoal is found in water filters and used to treat acute poisoning in hospitals around the world as an emergency decontaminant.
Note that burnt toast and charcoal briquettes are NOT charcoal. Treatment with super heated steam produces “activated” charcoal which is capable of a much greater adsorptive effect. This is because more surfaces of the charcoal have been exposed.
Activated charcoal works by undergoing a process known as "adsorption". This is when a solid, or molecule of a gas or liquid adheres or binds to the charcoal atom instead of being filtered into it (ie. absorption). Activated charcoal attracts impurities like a magnet to remove them safely.
Internally, charcoal cannot adsorb all poisons, but it can bind with, and thus neutralise many of them. Here are but a few of the many things it adsorbs:
- Many industrial toxins including DDT and dieldrin, strychnine, malathion, parathion
- Many medical drugs including aspirin, barbiturates cocaine, opium, nicotine, morphine, penicillin and sulphas
- Many inorganic chemicals including mercury, phosphorous, chlorine, lead, iron and silver
Although not a herb, charcoal is invaluable in a number of ways. Activated charcoal will absorb and render harmless over 3,000 known drug residues, pesticides, insecticides and just about every harmful chemical known. It is pure carbon and will absorb 29 of the 30 most dangerous poisons, neutralising them.
Dosage & warnings
Take 1 heaped tsp (2 g) in 100 mL water, or as recommended by your healthcare practitioner. Follow with a glass of water. For external use, mix with enough water to make a paste, apply on skin. Remove poultice when dry. Be sure not to reuse a poultice, always make a fresh one. Apply 1-3 times a day. Caution can stain materials like bedding and clothing.
Only take as directed.
|Per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||0 kJ||0 kJ|
|Protein||0 g||0 g|
|Total Fat||0 g||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||<0 g||<0 g|
|Dietary Fibre||< 0 g||< 0 g|
|Sodium||<0 mg||<0 mg|
|Activated coconut shell charcoal||2 g|
|Dietary Fibre||< 0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||<0 g|
|Total Fat||0 g|